Nisha K. Karnani
Nisha K. Karnani was born in the United Kingdom to Indian parents and immigrated to the United States as a child. She earned her Bachelor of Arts with Honors in Economics from the University of North Carolina in 1998 and her Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of Law in 2001.
Ms. Karnani has practiced immigration law exclusively since being admitted to the Georgia Bar in 2001. She was an Associate Attorney with Cohen & Associates beginning in 2001, a firm which merged and became the Antonini & Cohen Immigration Law Group in 2013. As a Partner at Antonini and Cohen, Ms. Karnani represents clients in employment and family immigration on issues. She also represents victims of domestic violence and other crimes in various immigration matters.
Ms. Karnani received Acquisition International’s 2014 Global Immigration & Mobility Awards recognition for ‘Immigration Attorney of the Year – Georgia’ and was named to the 2014 Lawyers of Color Hot List. In 2007, Ms. Karnani was a recipient of the Justice Robert Benham Award for Community Service and named a Georgia Super Lawyer Rising Star in the field of Immigration Law. She has been an active volunteer for Raksha, Inc., a Georgia-based nonprofit organization for the South Asian Community, since 2002 and served on Raksha’s Board of Directors from 2003 to 2005. In 2010, Raksha awarded Ms. Karnani special recognition for outstanding pro bono legal services and dedication to the Georgia South Asian community. Ms. Karnani was also a founding member of the South Asian Bar Association of Georgia, serving on the Board of Directors from 2003-2005 and 2013 to present. Ms. Karnani serves as Honorary Legal Advisor to the Indian Consul General in Atlanta, Trustee for the South Asian Bar Association of North America Foundation, and Advisory Board Member for Raksha, Inc., a Georgia-based nonprofit organization for the South Asian Community.
- JD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2001)
- BA, Honors in Economics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1998)
- Georgia Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- South Asian Bar Association of Georgia
- Immigration Attorney of the Year – Georgia: Acquisition International’s Global Immigration & Mobility Awards, 2014
- Lawyers of Color Hot List, Southern Region, 2014
- Justice Robert Benham Award for Community Service, 2007
- Georgia Super Lawyer Rising Star (Immigration Law), 2007
- Raksha Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Legal Services, 2010
Selected Community Service/Leadership
- Volunteer, Raksha, Inc. (nonprofit serving Georgia South Asian Community)
- Board of Directors, Raksha, Inc.
- Board of Directors, South Asian Bar Association of Georgia
- Mentor, Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network
- Community Outreach Chair, Atlanta Chapter, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Speaker on various immigration topics: American Immigration Lawyers Association Conferences; State Bar of Georgia, Continuing Legal Education; Georgia State School of Law; Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network; Latin American Association; South Asian Bar Association of Georgia; Festival of India; Nepalese Convention; Network of Indian Professionals, Atlanta.